Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Epic of Sadness

I sit writing words into a space that does not know space, singing songs to men who have plugged their ears-

So easily enchanted by the promise of love,
I have either surrendered myself too quickly or played coy when I was ardent -

So is the deception I have placed over my own eyes.
Like a scarf made of the most brilliant colors, the softest silk and the most enchanting fragrance -

So is the deception I have planted in my own ears.
Listening to music made from echoes and poetry written for the daughters of kings -

So is the deception I have voiced from my own throat.
The croaking of a poet wanting to be loved but whose voice repels the very one she calls-

A siren would never know my sorrows.

I have loved in vain -- the most vain act a human can perform --  but I will not allow shame to burrow into my breast -

Shame belongs to those who do not love but only give the appearance of love-

My heart is pure and my conscience is clear -

My love does inspire stanzas written from a man's heart, strewn with rhymes about my lips and my eyes and kindled by my spirit -

But even if those verses never come- from any man's heart-- I am whole.

I will twist myself in the love of universe, mouth open- drinking stars, ears open- hearing silence, eyes open- seeing light-

If I am silent, quiet, and see only light, how can another injure me?

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8526799-The_Epic_Of_Sadness-by-Nizar_Qabbani












    

No comments:

Post a Comment